Webinar: Non-Profit M&A: Benefits and Pitfalls
Analyzing Tax, Accounting and Business Aspects of Partnerships
This webinar provided advisors to non-profits with a review of the business and regulatory benefits and risks of a broad variety of mergers and acquisitions, partnerships, and other business ventures among non-profits.
Non-profit organizations are considering mergers and acquisitions at the highest rate ever, sometimes to bolster their service delivery but more often to emerge from the sluggish economy. The squeeze on donations and grants also have NPOs evaluating a number of different relationships with for-profit entities.
These structures take various forms — joint ventures, outsourced back-office operations and joint marketing campaigns. With proper planning, such relationships can improve a non-profit’s service quality, staff efficiency and funding. But, advisors must prepare NPOs for impacts on tax exemptions and donor relations.
Non-profits and their advisors must also understand the potential benefits and risks of mergers, acquisitions and other relationships with other NPOs from a business context.
Our panel of experienced advisors prepared listeners to navigate the practical realities as well as federal regulations, guidance and accounting standards governing M&A, partnerships and other business relationships between non-profits.
- I. Related legal issues
- II. Types of business relationships to consider
- III. Reasons to pursue or avoid a partnership
- IV. Applicable rules, standards and guidance
- V. Potential risks to a non-profit’s tax exemption
- VI. Leading an organization into merger consideration
- VII. Related employee benefits and HR issues
The panel addressed these and other key topics:
- Evaluating the potential benefits and risks with particular business models.
- Complying with the IRC, federal guidance and accounting standards regarding non-profit mergers.
- Potential risks to a non-profit’s tax exemption.
- Following the speaker presentations, you’ll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A. Upon completing this seminar, you will better understand the practical business realities and regulatory dictates concerning partnerships between non-profits.
Barry Sagraves, Managing Director
Juniper Advisory, Chicago
He has focused on providing M&A advice for non-profit hospitals, health systems and managed care providers. Before coming to Juniper, he was a managing director at Bury Street Capital and held senior positions at Northern Trust and the investment banking division at John Nuveen & Co.
Michael Peregrine, Partner
McDermott Will & Emery, Chicago
He has particular expertise in working with non-profit clients on corporate law and governance matters. He has written more than 300 articles on corporate, tax-exempt organization and governance law topics.
Dan McCormick, CEO
McCormick Group, Fripp Island, S.C.
His firm consults with some of the nation’s largest non-profits and foundations, and he is one of the nation’s leading experts on non-profit mergers and foundation development.