Rex Burgdorfer has over two decades of investment banking and strategic financial advisory services experience. He has advised all forms of nonprofit hospital systems on M&A transactions, including academic, community 501(c)3, faith-based, and local government entities. Rex was previously with Morgan Stanley and holds an MBA from the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University.
Rex sits on the faculty of The Governance Institute, the investment committee of Purple Arch Ventures, and lectures at both Notre Dame and Kellogg on microeconomic auction theory and pricing strategies in change-of-control transactions.
- “Dealmaking in the Sunlight: Navigating Public Hospital M&A.” McDermott Will & Emery. June 2020.
- “The Growing Role of Attorneys General in Hospital M&A.” Healthcare Law & Compliance Institute. March 2019.
- “Regulatory Implications for Change of Control in Hospital M&A.” The Governance Institute. December 2018.
- “Demonstrating Fairness in a Market Approach to Hospital M&A.” The Governance Institute. September 2018.
- “Valuing the Troubled Hospital.” The Governance Institute. June 2018.
- “Acquisition Currencies in Non-Profit Hospital M&A.” The Governance Institute. March 2018.
- “A Year of Change for Community Hospitals.” The Governance Institute. December 2017.
- “Is Healthcare a Charity, Social Service, or Business? Community Hospital Board Members Contemplate Their Role.” The Governance Institute. September 2017.
- “Membership Substitution Transactions: Why Are They So Misunderstood” The Bond Buyer. February 2017.
- “Do Hospital Affiliations Risk Becoming the Next Brexit?” Becker’s Hospital Review. July 2016.
- “Defending the Deal: The Attorney General Review Process in Nonprofit Hospital Conversions.” AHLA Connections. April 2016.
- “What Today’s Hospital Leaders Can Learn from ‘Downton Abbey.’” Becker’s Hospital Review. March 2016.
- “Responding to the HIT Imperative: A Guide for Independent Hospitals.” HFM Magazine. February 2016.
- “The Rise of Hospital Joint Ventures.” Waller Lansden. April 2015.
- “Continuing a Non-Profit Hospital’s Charitable Mission through Mergers and Acquisitions.” The Governance Institute. April 2015.
- “Critical Issues in Hospital Mergers and Acquisitions.” McDermott Will & Emery Special Report. September 2014.
- “The Expanding Range of Strategic Alternatives Available in Hospital System Mergers and Acquisitions.” The Governance Institute. August 2014.
- “Hospital Merger and Acquisition Transactions: A Focus on Retiring Liabilities.” The Governance Institute. October 2013.
- “Hospital and Health System Transactions: 10 Key Legal and Business Issues.” American Law Institute. May 2013.
- “Michigan is a hotbed of acquisition activity.” The Healthcare Investor. November 2012.
- “Current Trends in Hospital Mergers and Acquisitions.” Healthcare Financial Management. March 2012.
- “20 Best Practices for Healthcare M&A.” Becker’s Hospital Review. January 2013.
- “Community Considerations for Hospital Transactions.” The Governance Institute. September 2011.
- “Hospital Consolidation Trends in Today’s Healthcare Environment.” The Governance Institute. Standalone White Paper. Summer 2010.